INVITATION TO THE WORLD WETLANDS DAY PANEL DISCUSSION
Acting for Wetlands: Challenges and Opportunities
A virtual panel discussion about wetlands and why conserving and restoring this ecosystem should be a national and international priority action this decade.
Monday, 31 January 2022 – 15.00-16.15 CET
On the first World Wetlands Day as a United Nations International Day, the Secretariat of the Convention on Wetlands is inviting you to a virtual panel discussion to highlight the value of wetlands for people and nature.
Wetlands Action for People and Nature is the theme for World Wetlands Day in 2022, providing a timely focus on what national actions and international opportunities are key to conserve, promote the sustainable use of, and restore these vital ecosystems.
The panel will discuss the priority actions for wetlands as ecosystems which are vital for people and nature, and highlight current and emerging opportunities at national and international levels including partnerships to scale investment in the sustainable use, management and restoration of wetlands.
Moderator: Ms. Martha ROJAS URREGO, Secretary General, Convention on Wetlands
- Ms. Cynthia Barzuna, Vice minister of Water and Coast, Ministry of Environment of Costa Rica
- Mr. Onno van den Heuvel, Global Manager, Biodiversity Finance Initiative UN Development Programme
- Mr. Olivier Mushiete, Directeur General, Institut Congolais pour la Conservation de la Nature (ICCN)
- Dr. Lisa Maria Rebelo, Principal Researcher, International Water Management Institute and Vice-Chair, Scientific and Technical Review Panel, Convention on Wetlands.
- Mr. Tom Woodroffe, UK Ambassador to the Economic and Social Council
- Ms. Patricia Zurita, Chief Executive Officer, Birdlife International
Registration for the online panel discussion
We invite you to follow the discussion on either of the links below:
Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands
28 rue Mauverney, CH-1196 Gland, Switzerland
Tel. +41 22 999 0365; fax +41 22 999 0169