Side event details
This side event will involve an intergenerational dialogue between youth who are working on wetlands, and a number of experienced wetland professionals. They will discuss the implementation of the youth draft resolution, key challenges to the wise use of wetlands in coming decades, synergies with other MEAs, and how to stay positive.
Following opening remarks, the session will hold a brief discussion on the youth resolution, encouraging parties to appoint youth focal points, consider priorities for the youth working group, and identify potential members of the working group.
Thereafter, the Intergenerational Dialogue will be a series of moderator-led questions, asked of each participant, followed by an audience-led Q&A session. Free-flowing discussion between panellists will be encouraged.
Draft Questions for the panel (2-3 mins each) include:
What are the priority areas of work for youth engagement under the Youth Resolution, and how can we make this happen?
What do you think are the key challenges facing wetlands over the coming decade, and how can young people help solve these?
What gives you hope, and allows you to stay positive, despite all the problems we are struggling with?
How do you see synergies between the work of Ramsar and that of other MEA’s, and how can youth engagement help make this more vibrant and effective?
What are your final thoughts, and takeaway messages?
The session is expected to provide some context to the work of the Youth working group, under the Youth Resolution, and networking between attendees will be encouraged.
7:45: Opening remarks and introduction (10 mins)
- Dr. Musonda Mumba – Ramsar Convention Secretary General
- Doug Watkins – Chief Executive, East Asian Australasian Flyway Partnership
7:55: Introduction to the Youth Resolution (5 mins)
Dylan Jones, Youth Focal Point, Australia
8:00: Intergenerational Dialogue Panel (35 mins)
Moderator: Dylan Jones, Australian Youth Focal Point
- Hugo Ferreira – European Regional Representative, Youth Engaged in Wetlands
- Isabel Wallnoefer, Policy Officer, IUCN Water
- Kyle Zuleta - Technical Officer, Programme Development and Implementation, ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity
- Ms. Li Hongyu - Senior Project Officer, Mangrove Foundation
- Chris Rostrom - Manager, International Engagement, Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
- Yus Rusila Noor – Regional Director, Indonesia Office, Wetlands International
- Kim Diana Connolly - Professor, University of Buffalo Law Schook
8:35 Questions from the audience (10 mins)